Buxus sinica var insularis 'Justin Brouwers'– Justin Brouwers Boxwood
A tighter, smaller-leafed Boxwood that can be left to grow or trimmed to keep in shape. This variety is recommended for knot gardens and rockeries. Boxwood can be grown indoors if you can provide plenty of light with regular watering.
Hardier than the Suffruticosa and will retain that dark green color during the winter months.
Indoors: provide plenty of light and add some light compost or fertilizer each spring around the edge of the container – keep any fertilizer away from the trunk and inner roots where it may absorb too fast and burn the plant.
Outdoors: The Justin Brouwers Boxwood will retain the dark green color during the winters months.
- Growth: 3 to 6” per year
- Cold hardy zones 4 - 9 or to -30F
- Heat hardy zones 8 - 6
- Light: Full sun to part shade
- Shape: Globe shape
- Indoor Care: Boxwoods can be grown INDOORS with full, indirect bright light and regular water
- Pruning: Can be pruned into a topiary shape
- Trim outside branches to keep bushy OR
- Let outside branches grow, the inner leaves will die back, leaving a branching structure that will look like a natural miniature tree or shrub
- Water: Regular water
- Don’t let it dry out between watering sessions
Justin Brouwers is more tolerant of dry conditions.
- Well-drained soil
- Fertilize lightly each spring
- Comes in a 4” diameter pot
- Slow-growing, dark green form of the common boxwood
- Can be used in a variety of scales and many forms of miniature gardening
- Prune at any time, snip the stem just above a set of leaves to hide the cut
- Shear it into a fun topiary shape (trim no more than 1/3 of at a time)
- Prune it to keep its 'tree' look by taking off some of the lower leaves to show more trunk
NOTE: In spring when the weather warms up OR if this plant is coming from our cold nursery to your warm house, it will emit an strong odor. This is normal. It is the oils coming out of the leaves that is causing the smell. The oils will dry out in a couple of days and the smell will go away.
WE CAN ONLY GUARANTEE PLANTS SHIPPED BY PRIORITY MAIL.
Parcel post takes 7 to 10 days and puts a lot of stress on the trees during transit. We cannot guarantee any plants shipped this way - but it is your choice to make during checkout.
We recommend Priority Mail for a safe - and guaranteed - journey.
The shipping in this secure shopping cart is automatically calculated, all shipping charges are double-checked to ensure accuracy. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email Janit at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 206-352-0494.
We can only ship plants to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are certified by the USDA.
- Item #: BSJB1
- Cannot ship to: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Cayman Islands, Denmark, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Isle of Man, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, British