Tansu Dwarf Japanese Cedar, Jersey Jewel Japanese Holly, Primo Dwarf Arborvitae
Cryptomeria japonica 'Tansu', Ilex crenata 'Jersey Jewel', Thuja occidentalis 'Primo'
The trees in this set are outdoor trees and come in 2 1/4" pots as shown. They can be planted in full, cool sun to part sun with good-draining soil. Let them dry out a bit to "wrung-sponge-damp" in between watering sessions if they are grown in a container, to avoid over-watering. Never let the soil dry out completely.
- As a group: All are cold hardy to zones 6-9, or to -10F
- - Ilex / Holly is hardy to -20F
- - Cryptomeria / Cedar is hardy to -10F
- - Arborvitae is hardy to -40F
- Heat hardy zones 7-5
- Winter Maintenance: Clean out the dead leaves inside the shrub when you see them
- Cool, cool sun to part sun, the arborvitae can handle more sun.
- All are outdoor plants
- Come in 2 1/4" pots
Tansu Japanese Cedar - Cryptomeria japonica 'Tansu' - 2 1/4" pot
Above: Summer color
A charmer for the minature garden. The Tansu Dwarf Japanese Cedar slowly grows into a broad pyramid shape that tends to lean to one side creating a aged wind-swept look that can lend itself to a variety of miniature gardening styles and themes.
The foliage is a beautiful light to medium green that turns bronze in the winter - called a 'winter blush'. An attractive little tree that won't disappoint even the most discerning miniaturist. It's our most favorite Cryptomeria for miniature gardening.
- Growth: 1" to 3" per year
- Cold hardy Zones: 6-9 or to -10F
- Heat Zones: 9-4
- Full sun to part sun
- Regular water, do not let dry out completely
Jersey Jewel Japanese Holly - Ilex crenata 'Jersey Jewel' - 2 1/4" pot
A new favorite miniature garden plant. 'Jersey Jewel' is a smaller version of the well-known 'Dwarf Pagoda.' The growth on the Jersery Jewel appears a bit more upright, the leaves are tapered to a point, and the green color looks darker and richer.
- Grows 1/2" to 1" per year - suspect it slower than the Dwarf Pagoda
- If it's happy, it will produce tiny white flowers in the summer followed by green berries
- Growth rate: Less than 1"/yr
- Cold zones 5-7 or hardy to -20F
- Heat zones 7-5
Primo Dwarf Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Primo'
The Primo is a great anchor tree for the tiny miniature garden bed. With its ruggedness and finely textured dark green foliage, it really looks like a big forest tree - but in miniature. I imagine is it just as pleasurable to grow as the Zmatlik. Ideal for containers (at least 10" deep) or right in the garden bed.
- Upright narrow in shape
- Note that the winter color might a deep golden amber
- Hardy to -40F or Zones 2 - 7
- Heat zones 7 - 1
- Estimated growth rate is 2" to 5" per year
- Full sun to part sun
- Regular water with well drained soil
- If in a pot, let dry out to barely damp in between to avoid over watering
- If in a pot, shelter from extreme hot sun in late afternoon in the summer
- Comes in a 4” pot
- An outdoor plant
WE CAN ONLY GUARANTEE PLANTS SHIPPED BY PRIORITY MAIL.
Parcel post takes 7 to 10 days and puts a lot of stress on the trees during transit. We cannot guarantee any plants shipped this way - but it is your choice to make during checkout.
We recommend Priority Mail for a safe - and guaranteed - journey.
The shipping in this secure shopping cart is automatically calculated, all shipping charges are double-checked to ensure accuracy. If you have any questions regarding shipping costs or for anything else miniature garden, please don't hesitate to email Janit at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-352-0494.
We can only ship plants to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are certified by the USDA.
We recommend that you print out this page to keep for reference.
- Item #: PLMS-19